[Sca-cooks] Translations

Gretchen Beck grm at andrew.cmu.edu
Fri May 2 12:30:53 PDT 2008

--On Friday, May 02, 2008 3:23 PM -0400 Suey <lordhunt at gmail.com> wrote:

> - My reaction as a listener is that he who cannot explain what he
> is talking about in the common language of the group is a snob too
> pompous to condescend to our little minds or he just does not know what
> he is talking about.

Really?  I always took it as a sign of scholarly respect; certainly
scholars writing journal articles do not usually provide translations of
quotes in other languages -- it is assumed that their readers have the
skills to translate it themselves (or get it translated).

That said, it's nice to provide a translation, but I can't see its lack as
insulting.

toodles, margaret