[Sca-cooks] What to do with this meat

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Mon May 5 11:00:50 PDT 2008

We usually do this with regular ribs, but I suspect it would be outstanding
with the cut you're talking about.  They take a couple of days to do, by the
time you do the initial cooking and the marinade, but they are WELL WORTH
the extra effort!

*Five Spice Ribs*

Initial cooking:
1/2 cup oyster sauce
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 teaspoons five-spice powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
3/4 cup honey
3 slices ginger root, quarter-size, peeled and slivered
Marinade
3 pounds baby back ribs
3 tablespoons oyster sauce
3 slices ginger, quarter-size, peeled and slivered
2 each garlic clove, sliced
2 teaspoons five-spice powder
1 teaspoon cumin
30 each black peppercorns

1.    Place ribs in a large pot and cover with cold water.

2.    Stir in oyster sauce, ginger, garlic, five spice powder, cumin and
peppercorns.

3.    Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.  Drain
ribs.

4.    For the marnade, mix oyster suace, rice vinegar, five spice powder,
cumin, black pepper, white pepper, honey and ginger.

5.    Pour over ribs, cover and refrigerate for 6 hours or overnight.

6.    Bring ribs to room temp before grilling.  Drain ribs and heat
marinade.

7.    Grill ribs over medium high heat for a total of 8 - 12 minutes,
turning and basting every 2 minutes.

8.    The ribs should be crisp and shiney when cooked.

9.    Cut each rack into individual ribs to serve

I don't even remember where we got the recipe, as we've been using it for
years now.  Probably out of the Richmond, VA Times Dispatch.  But give it a
whirl...you'll probably like it.

Kiri

--
Relay for Life is the signature event for the American Cancer Society. This
link<http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR/RelayForLife/RelayForLifeSouthAtlanticDivision?px=3678599&pg=personal&fr_id=9276>will