[Sca-cooks] Vegetables and are you all still there?

Lilinah lilinah at earthlink.net
Mon May 12 10:20:57 PDT 2008

Eduardo wrote:
>OH and the beans and figs and onions also from Martino.
>I would be interested in hearing if others have tried this recipe and
>what beans they used.

Why, the beans they used then, of course... fava beans :-) I suppose
the dish could be made with black-eyed peas, too. Most beans, as we
know them today, are New World. While it appears that some New World
beans (i'm not sure which ones... Bear? Adamantius? Anyone else?),
Martino, being 15th C., would not have had them.

I confess that i was served this dish at a feast, the cooks didn't
peel the fava beans, and it was most unpleasant. In my opinion, the
problem with the dish lay with the cooks, not the recipe. Favas,
fresh or dried and soaked, need to be peeled before serving.
--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita

My LibraryThing