[Sca-cooks] mulberry syrup?

Mike C. Baker kihebard at hotmail.com
Mon May 12 20:35:34 PDT 2008

> On May 12, 2008, at 2:33 PM, Stefan li Rous wrote:
>
> > Eduardo mentioned:
> > <<< Peas, bacon and mulberry syrup from Martino!
> > Yummmmmmmmmm! >>>
> >
> > Where did you find mulberry syrup?
> >
> > I believe we have mulberry trees/bushes around here, but
> they are for
> > ornamental use, as far as I know. Are they the same thing?
> >
> > Stefan
>
> Indian Grocery store along with the Pomegranate syrup.
>
> There are probably ornamental mulberries along with edible
> mulberries but I have not done research around this.
>
> We used to have an edible one and they are REALLY messy.
>
> Eduardo

I had mulberry-rhubarb pie as a child LONG before I ever tasted
strawberry-rhubarb.  (Central Oklahoma, USA / now in or just outside
Province of Moonschadowe, Northern Region, Ansteorra)  Grandma kept
trying to raise strawberries, and succeeded some years, but it took a
REALLY strange weather-year to keep the mulberries from producing
buckets of the things.

What tends to make edible (or even some ornamental) mulberry messy are
the birds and other creatures that dearly love to ingest and then must
expel the waste produced... Although ripe edible mulberries *do* make a
relatively useful natural dye, if one can find the right mordant to
"set" the berry color.

Adieu, Amra / ttfn - Mike / Pax ... Kihe
Kitchen Idiot, Cathedral of the Cheesey Salamander

Mike C. Baker
Opinions? I'm FULL of 'em
alt. e-mail: KiheBard at hotmail.com  OR MikeCBaker at verizon.net
   Buy my writings!:   http://www.lulu.com/WizardsDen