[Sca-cooks] Trinsch bread

Gretchen Beck grm at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue May 20 14:06:23 PDT 2008

The source for the quote is "Report on the Manuscripts of the Earl of Mar
and Kellie preserved at Alloa House"

It doesn't help that the quote appears to be truncated. The source
document is online at
http://books.google.com/books?id=HcEKAAAAYAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=intitle:mar+intitle:kellie

The quote is from an expense (and description) report:
1598 [4 February = The tables laitlie erectit sen the Princes birth,
servit furth of the Court kitching, as efter followis:
(The tables lately erected since the Prince's birth, served forth of the
court kitchen, as after follows)

The dames of honour table quhairat sittis (where the ladies of honor sit)
   The Lady Mar, elder and younger,
   My Lady Mortoun
   The Lady Dudhope
   The Lady Clackmannane
   The Lady Abireairny
   The Lady Cambuskynneth
   The lait Justice Clerkis wyff
(Note - In number aucht persouns in ordiner by estraordiner -- which is In
number eight people for both regular and extraordinary food allowances)

Denner and supper -- viij b. in ordiner of aill, 7 g and for toistis
trinsch bread and sayes (I'm not entirely sure how to parse this, but I
think it's something like  dinner and supper, -- 9 b (an amount of money),
for an ordinary ration of ale 7 g, and for toasts of trencher bread and
beef [DOST says say is "The part of a carcase of beef extending from the
shoulder to the loin"])

To thair disiones, Collatiounis, and efternoneis, sour breid 3 aill - 1g.
(To their breakfast, lunch, and gab fests, and afternoon meal, sour
[Another copy of Mar & Kellie shows this as "Four" which makes more sense]
bread 3 ale - 1 g.)

I don't know how they come by the definitions, although its worth noting
that DOST also has the verb trinsch as "to cut"

toodles, margaret

emilio szabo wrote:

> Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 20:33:47 +0000 (GMT)
> From: emilio szabo <emilio_szabo at yahoo.it>
> To: sca-cooks at lists.ansteorra.org
> Subject: [Sca-cooks] Trinsch bread

The online Dictionary of the Scots Language (http://www.dsl.ac.uk)

includes the article pasted below:

Trinsch bread , n.   [? Trinsch v. Cf. also late ME trencher bred (c1460) ‘bread made of unbolted flour for use as trenchers’ (OED Trencher n. 7).] ? Bread cut in slices or ? some sort of bread deriving ultim. from the type of bread used as trenchers. —  Denner and supper … for toistis trinsch bread and sayes—iij b. To thair disiones … sour breid;1593–4 Mar & Kellie MSS 41.

Does anybody know, what kind of "food sources" they used for their quotations?

To be honest, I don't fully understand the quotation from 1593-4. Comments?

E.