[Sca-cooks] Substitutions... how do we know?

Lilinah lilinah at earthlink.net
Tue May 27 11:42:04 PDT 2008

Lilinah wrote:
>  ----- The Recipe -----
>
>  Fry the chicken with lard and with onions.
>  Chop unpeeled almonds and temper them with sour and sweet pomegranate
>  juice and strain them well.
>  Mix a little water with sugar and spices.
>  Put this to boil for a little with the said chicken, and mix well with
>  a wooden spoon, and put mixed spices above.
>  If you don't have almonds [substitute]
>  If you don't have pomegranate [substitute]

Nichola responded:
>Since your straining the almonds and not seemingly using them... I'd say
>they were a thickening agent so Bread Crumbs since eggs are out as it
>doesn't look like they are being cooked... but in reality without the
>name of the Recipe... I couldn't tell you since according to the recipe
>you don't actually use them after straining them.

The reseult is cooked. Look at the recipe again...

>For the Pomegranate Juice sub in vinegar or verjuice.  But once again I
>can't say for sure without the name of the recipe... Obviously it  is
>Chicken but with what?

I've reproduced the entire recipe (minus "and" and "then" in a few
places). And, in fact, the name of the recipe would be no help at
all. Really. Trust me.

I'll post the details on Friday so you can all sleep more easily for
the weekend :-)

--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita