[Sca-cooks] Substitutions... how do we know?

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Wed May 28 12:06:50 PDT 2008

> The part i find unclear is step 2.
>
> I've been through quite a few recipes lately in which straining is
> not a process of removing the big lumps of one ingredient from a
> blend with liquid, as in the usual European making almond milk. But
> rather, the straining is a way of making sure that small parts of
> some ingredient are incorporated with a liquid.
>
> So is step 2 making basic almond milk using pomegranate juice? or is
> it a way of making a creamy mixture of finely chopped almonds and
> pomegranate juice?

I think about this question every time I come across a recommendation to
strain a mixture. Sometimes, it seems like the recipe won't work right if
you don't leave in some of the ingredient that we would leave out.

I wonder about sorrel juice or other juices of green plants here. Scully
has an article about the verb "temper" and its variants that theorizes
that tempering substances are used specifically to modify the humoral
qualities of the food... but given the humoral qualities of the other
ingredients, what would you want to temper? The spices?

--
-- Jenne Heise / Jadwiga Zajaczkowa
jenne at fiedlerfamily.net