[Sca-cooks] Cookie Recipe Time-- Skillet Cookies

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Thu May 1 19:35:56 PDT 2008

Happy Birthday to The Society.

I spent the afternoon baking cookies here for the teenager to take
to school in the am. That got me thinking about a cookie recipe that we
used to make that would have been around in 1966 when the SCA
was founded. We also discussed doing another cookie recipe share earlier
in April.

In honor of the anniversary, I looked it up.

*Skillet Cookies*

        INGREDIENTS:

    * 1 cup chopped dates
    * 1 cup sugar
    * 8 tablespoons butter
    * 1 egg, well beaten
    * 1 teaspoon vanilla
    * 2 cups Rice Krispies cereal
    * 3/4 cup ground pecans
    * 1 cup flaked coconut

        PREPARATION:

Melt butter in a heavy duty skillet. Mix in sugar, dates, and egg in
heavy skillet. Melt over low heat; cook for about 12 minutes on low
heat, until bubbly. Remove from heat and let cool until it can be
handled. Then add vanilla, rice cereal and ground pecans. When cool
enough to handle, roll into small balls and roll in the coconut. Place
on waxed paper. Makes about 4 dozen.
They can also be rolled in ground pecans or in powdered sugar.

Johnnae