[Sca-cooks] salads and stuffed olives

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon May 12 16:04:42 PDT 2008

Sharon commented:
<<< With so many good SCA cooks, I think I would need to answer "Most
anything
I've tried."  But if I'm going to narrow it down--currently I am
intrigued
by salats and learning about all the different things that went into
them. >>>

After reading some of the other comments in the thread on vegetables
I realized that the question was broader than I originally thought it
was. So I, too, would list mushrooms and salads as my favorite period
vegetables. I actually prefer most medieval green salads to the
modern ones I usually get at restaurants. Field greens are so much
better than Iceburg lettuce.

salads-msg       (172K)  1/31/08    Period salads. lettuce, greens.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/salads-msg.html
Summer-Salad-art  (17K) 11/28/00    "A Summer Salad" by Lady Jehanne
de Huguenin
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/Summer-Salad-art.html

and for mushrooms:
23-Ger-Mushrm-art (28K)  3/ 6/03    "Twenty-three German Mushroom
Recipes"
                                        by Anahita.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-VEGETABLES/23-Ger-Mushrm-art.html
mushrooms-msg    (156K)  2/ 8/08    Period mushrooms. Recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-VEGETABLES/mushrooms-msg.html

Hmmm. Okay, stuffed olives are another favorite, but I don't remember
if these are period.
olives-msg        (54K)  1/15/08    Period olives. Processing fresh
olives.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-VEGETABLES/olives-msg.html
   (Okay, I don't find any evidence or recipes for stuffed olives in
the Florilegium. Anyone know of any evidence for these in period?)

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com