[Sca-cooks] Period pear varieties?

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Sun Nov 2 15:56:05 PST 2008

The pear varieties in the 16th and 17th  centuries should be
listed in
John Gerald's /The Herbal Or General History of Plants/. 1597. 1633.
Revised and Enlarged by Thomas Johnson. New York: Dover Publications, 1975.

and/or

John Parkinson's /A Garden of Pleasant Flowers. Paradisa in Sole
Paradisus Terrestris/. 1629. New York: Dover, 1976, 1991.

 I did the article on apples but didn't look at pear varieties. I am
under the impression that we don't see
the books that feature pears in the same way that we see books on apples
appearing in the 17th centuries.

Those small seckel pears are good candied. Peel them and immerse them in
a sugar syrup and let them slowly
simmer until they sugared.
More tips here: *http://www.usapears.com/pears/varieties_seckel.asp

Johnnae