[Sca-cooks] Barbeque sauce

Barbara Benson voxeight at gmail.com
Sat Nov 8 05:16:10 PST 2008

Saluti!

I found the following when I was working on Rumpoldt and it appeared
to me to be the closest thing to what I know of BBQ that I have seen:

>From Pig Wild caught
27. Ungerische Braten an einem haßlen Spieß gebraten/ sonderlich die
Ruckbraten/ mit Salk und Knobloch gerieben/ darnach mit dem Spieß in
Rauch gehenckt/ unnd ein stundt oder zwo hengen lassen/ geschwindt
hinweg gebraten/ und zum ersten gang auff die Bruh gelegt.

27. Hungarian Roast on a Hazel Spit Roasted/ especially the Back
Roast/ with salt and garlic rubbed/ thereafter with the Spit hung in
smoke/ and let it hang for an hour or two/ roasted on a high heat /
and for the first course arrange it with broth.

My understanding of BBQ being defined by 1) a rub 2) being hung in a
smoke environment and 3) PORK. This appears to be smoked for a couple
of hours and the roasted at a heat higher than what one would desire
for BBQ, but it is with a Pork Loin, so there would be less connective
tissue and less need for the long, low cooking.

My .02

Ciao!
Serena