[Sca-cooks] Barbeque sauce

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Sat Nov 8 08:53:54 PST 2008

Definitions vary but Andrew Smith
/The Oxford Encyclopedia of Food and Drink in America/.

defines it as
*Barbecue* Barbecue is a method of slow-cooking meat over coals, also
known as barbeque, bar-b-q, BBQ, or simply 'cue....
Europeans had of course been cooking meat over fires for thousands of
years. It was the low heat of the coals and the consequent slowness of
the process that set the New World method apart.

The meat doesn't matter, the baste or rub doesn't matter-- it's the slow
cooking.
And most would say that smoking is something different again... related
perhaps but different.
Smith defines smoking in another entry.

Johnnae