[Sca-cooks] Mortar and long pepper

Susanne Mayer susanne.mayer5 at chello.at
Sat Nov 22 11:33:48 PST 2008

I have one made from  granite, which i had to wash quite often to get rid of
the stone taste, but works wonderfully (big, hard and crunches up about
every thing). A smaller one of green stone {probably Nephrite, as I bought
it from an India shop, said shop has also an grining board (like the early
bronze age board fro grinding wheat flour I will buy eventually) }, use for
small amount of herbs. Some wooden ones, used only for crunchy herbs, like
Rosemary, Thyme or sage. and my trusty travel mortar a very small porcelaine
one.

I really would like an iron one (some food was cooked in this, mostly fired
in lard stuff).

I would also like a bronze one but they are EXPENSIVE!

Regards Katharina

PS long pepper:

I first cut the cones into smaller pieces before I grind them (or put them,
very un-Period, into a modern pepper mill with ceramic grinder), this works
pretty well.