[Sca-cooks] FW: [TY] Elizabethan Turkey

Gretchen Beck grm at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Nov 25 14:06:04 PST 2008

--On Tuesday, November 25, 2008 1:51 PM -0800 David Walddon
<david at vastrepast.com> wrote:

> We always called it dressing even when it was stuffed. It dressed the
> bird, I guess. It seemed that our American friends always called it
> stuffing and home in Canada we called it dressing. Never had cornbread
> stuffing until moving to the states.

The Oxford English Dictionary addresses it thus:

Dressing: 4. concr. That which is used in the preceding actions and
processes; that with which any thing or person is dressed for use or
ornament: e.g.
  a. Cookery. The seasoning substance used in cooking; stuffing; the sauce,
etc., used in preparing a dish, a salad, etc.

So, stuffing = dressing and dressing = stuffing, and it really doesn't
matter which term is used (I think).

toodles, margaret