[Sca-cooks] Okay, anybody doing anything unusual for Thanksgiving?

Kathleen A Roberts karobert at unm.edu
Tue Nov 25 14:53:12 PST 2008

On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 16:50:38 -0500
  "Mairi Ceilidh" <jjterlouw at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Would you be willing to share your recipe for the
>dumplings that go in the
> sauerkraut and sausage dish?  I would be grateful, even
>if my husband would
> rather be elsewhere.

as would my husband, oddly enough.  in his food formative
years, his mother ate cold sauerkraut out of the aluminum
can.  i believe the trauma has lasted until this day,
altho he will eat a small serving of this sauerkraut on
holidays.   which is when i make it, out of deference to
his.... pain.

the dumplings are a vague recipe learned when i was young.
 about a cup of flour, 1/4 tsp salt, black pepper to
taste, 1 egg, 1/2 tsp baking powder, water until it looks
right.  once i added caraway seeds and it tasted great,
but looked like i used buggy flour. 8)  so add seeds to
the kraut, not the dumplings.

the sauerkraut needs to be a bit soupy.   in a crock pot i
mix 1 jar of sauerkraut, 1 small chopped onion, 1 small
chopped apple, about 1 cup of white wine, a heaping
tablespoon of brown sugar (not packed), fennel or caraway
as you like, and lay some plain pork sausages or pork
chops on top and cook until the sausage/pork is about
done.  then i moosh (technical term) everything around and
drop the dumpling batter on top, return the crock pot lid
and cook until the dumplings are done.

it's a meal in itself.

cailte
"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy which
sustained him through temporary periods of joy."
W. B. Yeats
Kathleen Roberts
Coordinator of Freshman Admissions
University of New Mexico