[Sca-cooks] Cooking for Power

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Tue Nov 25 18:25:24 PST 2008

> What about Maestro Martino?  He was a chef, mostly in Sicily, IIRC, to the
> Norman ruler there.  Also Bernardo Scappi who, as I understand it, cooked
> for several Cardinals, then reached the pinacle of his career cooking for
> couple of Popes?
>
> Kiri

It's Bartolomeo Scappi (1500?-1577).

After becoming a noted cook (1536) in the employ of Cardinal Lorenzo
Campeggio, he worked for a succession of Cardinals, then entered the employ
of Pope Pius IV (Giovanni Angelo Medici, 1559-1565) at the Vatican and
continued his service with Pope Pius V (1566-1572).

The Opera was published in 1570.

Bear