[Sca-cooks] OT, OOP, not truly food-related, but...

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Sun Nov 30 08:09:58 PST 2008

On Nov 30, 2008, at 10:51 AM, Kingstaste wrote:

> Ok, you are off of creamed herring and gingersnap cookies as a late
> night
> snack!  Just having Ramsey in a dream would be scary enough, without
> the
> guns, foaming butter, and Stevenson.  Poor thing, you must be
> traumatized!
> Come sit over here and watch some nice Rachel Ray for a while,

Talk about waking nightmares!

> that should
> soothe you ;)
> Christianna

No, seriously, I truly believe Ramsay is really a very sweet man who
plays a mean character on television. Basically he's playing an
exaggerated caricature of his own professional mentor, Marco Pierre
White, who is a genuine maniac to work for. Ramsay worked for him as
sous-chef, prep-cook, dishwasher and all-around slavey, in a six-foot-
wide kitchen, while White engaged in a multi-year, uninterrupted
temper tantrum. Mario Batali had that same job for a couple of years
and said the same thing, like being chained to a hungry Bengal tiger.

Honestly, most of the seemingly terrifying martinet behavior I see
from Ramsay on television is in fact a perfectly reasonable set of
expectations, and reaction when the idiots working for him don't meet
them. I often find myself agreeing with him, and simply wanting to go
over to some of the contestants and say, "Evidently you don't really
enjoy this and want to do it for a living, thank you and goodbye."

But apart from his weird fixations on risotto and X Wellington, which
he seems incapable of leaving off a menu, I find myself agreeing with
most of his creative decisions, and the videos online of him alone
with his cameraman in his own kitchen, preparing breakfast in bed for
his wife, suggest to me he's a  pussycat.

Believe me, I was really surprised when he pulled that gun.

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter