[Sca-cooks] Barbeque sauce

Barbara Benson voxeight at gmail.com
Sat Nov 8 20:17:24 PST 2008

I see that my attempt at humor has fallen flat - such are the vagaries
of the internet. As was the point of the origin of this discussion (I
believe) BBQ has deeply regional differences - and that is what I was
attempting to illustrate. While there may be a "technical" definition
as defined by the OCF, tradition often holds a tighter grip than
accuracy.

Where I hail from (Georgia) and for most of the Southern states when
one says BBQ one is 90% of the time referring to pork, with chicken
coming in at about 8% and other meats (including beef) make up the
remaining 2%. From my lesser understanding of other areas I believe
that in Texas the ratio of Pork to Beef would be reversed.

The point I was attempting (quite badly it appears) to make is that,
in searching for the origins of BBQ it might strongly depend on what
you idea of BBQ is. I personally disagree with the OCF definition
being applied to the Southern concept of BBQ. That definition
accurately defines "Grilling" but here in this region a distinct
difference is drawn between Grilling and BBQ.

Again, I am sorry that my humor was not clearer - but I would still
love to hear others opinions on the recipe I presented and what they
felt might result from it.

Ciao!

--
Serena