[Sca-cooks] Beef Jerky (not too OT)

Saint Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Fri Nov 14 17:23:53 PST 2008

Really, it's a matter of what you like. You can pretty well spice it
with anything. You take your meat, and cut it thinly across the grain
(partial freezing is the easiest way to get thin slices) and drop the
pieces in a chilled brine solution, if you like it salty. You can also
throw in some of your favorite smoke seasonings or Worchestershire
sauce, if you like them.

When you're ready to dry the meat, take the pieces out one at a time,
and shake them in a baggy of your favorite spice blend. I like some of
the variants of Mrs Dash, and usually add some garlic powder and /or
pepper, depending on what I'm in the mood for.

Lay the pieces of meat out flat on a cookie sheet or three, and put in
the oven. A gas oven's pilot light will dry things sufficiently, if
you have a gas oven, but very low in an electric oven will work, too.
Just leave stuiff there, until it's very dry, and place in sealed
plastic bags, and it'll keep pretty near forever.

--
Saint Phlip

Heat it up
Hit it hard