[Sca-cooks] Fish at feasts

Solveig Throndardottir nostrand at acm.org
Sun Nov 23 20:21:45 PST 2008

Noble Cousin!

Greetings from Solveig!

> I am dallying with the idea of serving fish at a feast I'm doing in
> February, based on Chiqart and Menagier of Paris. What I would love
> to do is a whole roast fish "swimming" on a bed of decorated rice,
> with green sorrel verjuice on top and sprinkled with small whole
> shrimp. I have been warned away from doing this dish because
> "people don't eat fish at feasts" and "what about the bones?". So.

Just make sure to let people know in advance that fish is a prominent
part of the menu and have people prepay for the feast plus say 10%
for late arrivals. Opinions about fish in general appears to be
dependent upon where you are from. Do people in your part of Trimaris
frequently eat fish? If so, then don't worry. It's interesting just
how noisy and demanding the beef eaters are despite the presence at
events of people who do not eat beef. Just cough up some dead cow to
keep the beef eaters happy, and tell them to stuff it in their ear if
they complain about fish being in the same room with them. Seriously,
the fish haters can be down right discourteous if you think about it.

Regardless, whole roast fish sounds positively yummy to me. Then
again, I grew up in An Tir where fish is an obligatory part of just
about any banquet. Something about the area being settled by
Scandinavians and Asians.

My only concern is that mixing the shrimp with the roast fish might
make life difficult for people either with specific allergies or
religious restrictions.

Your Humble Servant
Solveig Throndardottir
Amateur Scholar