[Sca-cooks] Cooking for Power

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Tue Nov 25 14:38:43 PST 2008

Ooops, I just realized that only part of my message got through.  Here's the
response to Suey in its entirety:

Firstly, it was not my title...I responded to earlier messages.

Secondly, Maestro Martino had nothing to do with Aragon or Castile...he was
Italian, and appears to have traveled all over Italy, including Naples.  Not
sure where I picked up the Norman reference, but then I'm often confused
these days!  He did most of his work in the mid fifteenth century, including
a stint as cook for one of the Szforzas.

IIRC = If I recall correctly.  Sorry, thought it was a commonly used
abbreviation.

Bernardo Scappi was an Italian as well.  Mistress Helewyse has translated a
large part of his cookery book and a new translation of it by Terence Scully
is due out soon.  He did his work in the 16th century.  I know he worked for
a couple of Popes, but I'm not sure if they were either de Medici or
Borgia...

Sorry if my comments confused anyone...they weren't meant to!

Kiri