[Sca-cooks] Okay, anybody doing anything unusual for Thanksgiving?

Saint Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Tue Nov 25 14:53:43 PST 2008

Well, I'm not doing anything particularly unusual for me for the last
few years. R&M generally go to upstate NY to be with her parents (just
her mother and brother, now) and I stay home and feed the critters.

We found a food co-op that gives a good price on set packages of
groceries, as long as a member of the household volunteers for at
least 2 hours a month. Since I own, mentor, or moderate 3 Freecycle
Lists, I qualify for us, so, since R&M love turkey, they ordered 3 of
the Holiday meal specials, the Monthly grocery special, and the pasta
special, and theyll be making and hauling Thanksgiving dinner and all
the trimming up with them on Wednesday night. BTW, the co-op outfit is
called, "To serve New England" http://www.servenewengland.org/
for anybody who's interested. I'd guesstimate we got about $250 worth
of groceries for $132. So far, the quality of everything has been
quite good.

Anyway, while they're off to the wilds of upstate NY, I'll be here,
cooking for myself. I don't particularly like turkey (don't dislike
it, it's just that  like lots of other stuff better) so I'll be
roasting a duck (currently thawing in thefridge). With it, I usually
serve a sauce made of a favorite preserve, cooked with wine and
thickened with corn starch, I'm considering some Janssen's temptation,
a batch of Uncle Ben's wild and brown rice, a homemade version of the
green bean casserole, and, after a discussion with Adamantius today, I
think I'll make a tomato and onion salad marinated in balsamic
vimegar. And, I think I'm going to finish up with my homemade espresso
ice cream with my homemade chocolate sauce.

Leftovers ought to keep.me lazily fed throughout most of the rest of
the weekend, and R&M also got me some lamb shoulder chops that will be
the basis for a lamb curry Saturday evening, served over the extra
long grain Basmati rice.

will likel be about 5 lbs heavier at the end of the weekend, but it's
rare I get to indulge in all my favorite foods, so it will be well
worth it ;-)

--
Saint Phlip

Heat it up