[Sca-cooks] OOP - Selecting the new White House Executive Chef

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Nov 26 03:53:20 PST 2008

Samia asked:

<<< Am I the only one who thinks this does not belong on this list? >>>

Kingstaste wrote:
An interesting article in today's Yahoo news:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081124/ap_on_re_us/obama_chef

You may not be the only one. However, I disagree. Being the White
House chef is probably a very close approximation of the life of a
medieval chef.  Both are/were responsible for putting on formal,
state dinners. Both are/were expected to help forward the diplomacy
and politics of their employer by creating spectacular dinners, as
well as the daily meals of the household of their employer. Both also
have to handle the logistics of the kitchen and the overseeing of
often large staffs.

Both also have to be aware of and plan for the peculiarities of their
clients. It would have been bad in period to serve meat on a fish
day, just as it would be for the Presidential Chef to serve roast
pork to the Israeli ambassador.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas