[Sca-cooks] Another mustardy question.

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Mon Nov 17 14:41:21 PST 2008

> Interestingly enough, I presented mustards from 5 texts (4 German
> sources and Libellius de arte coquinaria) and Rumpoldt was the only
> one that called for Brown mustard. > > > > >
>
> Now this begs another set of questions that I don't have answers for:
> Brown
> as opposed to what? Yellow? Specifying brown seems logically to imply
> another type.
>
> Is this 'brown' a different species, or a different preparation/handling?
> (I
> know there are several modern species available) Where and when was this
> "brown" available first for use?  What made the brown more appropos for
> this
> as opposed ot other preparations?  Was the original mustard all
> genenrically
> called 'mustard' this brown, or some other kind . . . which came first,
> basically.
>
> pacem et bonum,
> niccolo difrancesco

Brown mustard is Brassica juncea.  Yellow mustard is actually white mustard,
B. alba, to which tumeric is commonly added.  Black mustard is B. nigra.
Each of these plants has silghtly differing chemoical characteristics
producing different flavors.  For reference, Dijon mustard is a brown
mustard.

All of these mustards are of Eurasian origin and have been available in
Europe since Antiquity.

For more info, try Gernot Katzer's Spice Pages:

http://www.uni-graz.at/~katzer/engl/Bras_nig.html

http://www.uni-graz.at/~katzer/engl/Sina_alb.html

Bear