[Sca-cooks] mortar and pestle questions

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Nov 22 16:55:19 PST 2008

Tia asked about mortar and pestles:

<<< I'm on the hunt for a good mortar and pestle set and need advice.
What is better for practical uses? Wood, porcelain, stone? What about
size? Would a smaller one grind more completely, and would a larger
one just stir things around without really grinding them? >>>

It probably depends mostly on what you are planning to use the mortar
and pestle for. For herbs? for larger food items? For gems or
minerals? In period, as today, there seem to have been a number of
sizes made and different materials used.

There is this file in the FOOD-UTENSILS section of the Florlegium,
although I'm not sure there is much on which size and shape to choose
for different purposes.

mortar-pestle-msg (12K)  3/26/05    Mortar and pestles. Sources.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com