[Sca-cooks] mortar and pestle questions

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Sat Nov 22 20:12:08 PST 2008

Martin G. Diehl wrote:
> Laura C. Minnick wrote:
>
>> All this mortar and pestle talk- reminding me of Baba Yaga, hopping
>> along in hers, using the pestle like an oar. I understand it was
>> pretty fast, too- maybe someone in Detroit should look into the fuel
>> efficiency of a mortar and pestle conveyance?...
>
> Great food reference ... in Modest Mussorgsky's
> Pictures at an Exhibition -- No. 9 "Избушка на курьих ножках"
> (Баба-Яга) [Izbushka na kur'ikh nozhkakh (Baba-Yaga)]
> (Russian: The Hut on Hen’s Legs (Baba-Yaga))
>
> So you see, it's not just that Baba-Yaga might have
> gone about the countryside in a mortar and pestle ...
> she also lived in a hut on chicken legs.

I knew about that too (we had a really good set of children's books when
I was a kid). And my Grandma Klaassen, who was born in Ukraine, called
their travel-trailer the (very approximate spelling here) schneckenhaus,
because it reminded her of Baba Yaga's house.
>> 'Lainie, feeling goofy- It's my birthday!
>
> Happy Birthday ...
> http://web.mit.edu/jcb/humor/birthday-dirge
>
> Vincenzo

Coulda done without that one... ;-)

Regina and I just got back from my birthday dinner- I hadn't had a steak
in ages, so we went to a steak house. Very yummy, and very sinful- my
cardiologist would not have approved. But I figure for my birthday I
could sin a little. :-)

'Lainie

--
"It is our choices Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."  -Albus Dumbledore