[Sca-cooks] Chefs in History up to 1500 A.C.

Suey lordhunt at gmail.com
Tue Nov 25 12:42:32 PST 2008

Adamantius replied to me:
>> England of course has Harry Cock, chef to Eduard III, no??? inventor of Hariote
>> Mutton today called Irish Stew.
>>

> Uh, no. Taillevent's (and presumably others') halicot/hericot de
> mouton is browned before braising, what distinguishes Irish Stew
> (apart from the potato thing) is that it is a "white ragout".

I am not talking about Irish Stew but its medieval predecessor. _Sent
Sovi_ does not brown his in either of the two recipes he provides, nor
does Nola's which is a repetition of _Sent Sovi's_. In _Pleyn Delit_ and
_Le Me'nagier de Paris_ it is parboiled, fried and then boiled (see
Stefan's A-French-Mrsat-art - 7/21/01). It does not seem to me that
braising was a requirement at least not in medieval Spain. Now Robin
Carrol-Mann claims the word hericot is of French origin. I have another
source stating it is of Germanic origin from the 14th C, also meaning to
cut unto pieces. Corominas says it comes from Cook Harry. As far  I can
see it has always been white whether using turnips, almond milk or after
the 15th C broad beans or potatoes.
Suey