[Sca-cooks] Stefan pulls a Drakey

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Wed Nov 26 08:14:04 PST 2008

We were looking at a similar kind of thing (the water heater needing
replacement in a shorter than normal time) in our house when we built it 12
years ago.  However, the guys who came to replace the whole-house humidifier
on our furnace showed us why it had to be replaced...build-up on the
strainer.  He said that it was a problem that would shorten the life of all
of our appliances that use water, from the refrigerator with its
through-the-door water tap, washer, water heater, even the pipes going to
sinks, etc.  What he recommended was the we get a whole-house water
softener.  Which we did.  The initial cost was expensive, but it has only
cost us a little to make sure the salts are refilled each month.  And we
haven't had any further problems with the buildup of silt, etc.  And the
water is now wonderfully soft, and better for my skin!!  Just don't water
your orchids with it!  I lost 4 of the buggers until it was pointed out to
me that they don't like the salts that are used in the water softening
process!

Kiri