[Sca-cooks] White House Chef

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 27 08:50:56 PST 2008

Stefan li Rous wrote:
> Selene said:
>
> <<< You are correct ma'am.  The article originally cited said so, but
> that
> the new administration may or may not hire someone new, and if so, some
> talk about the qualifications.  NOT TV stars.  >>>
>
> I say, definitely not. Most of the TV "chefs" I've seen have egos that
> are too big for such a position.

The one Food Network on-air personality I have met was really nice.  He
spent some time talking with me and my family off-camera, not hiding in
a trailer.  On the other hand, he was not a chef. [Jim O'Connell]

> <<< This is a working
> kitchen, not a floor show.  Someone devoted to service rather than
> personal glorification... their description puts me in mind of the Order
> of the Pelican, yesno?  <== on topic content! >>>
>
> Except that the White House chef gets a rather not-inconsequential
> salary. Most Pelicans probably don't. At least not from their SCA
> activities.

OK, granted that.  But still, there's a certain selflessness that goes
with a job where you have to be World Class and get NO public
recognition at all, not like one would get for the restaurant one would
surely have if not for this job.

Selene