[Sca-cooks] article publication, was Barbeque sauce

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Nov 13 13:31:58 PST 2008

Gwyneth replied to me with:

<<< No.I will not have it published in the Florilegium. It's going to
be in
Artes Draconis. >>>

Okay. I certainly support such A&S publications.  I will for
instance, willingly withhold placing a piece of work in the
Florilegium until after it is published where it was originally
written for, and then some time.  If editors will send me the table
of contents for such newsletters and the information on where folks
can buy back issues I will gladly add this to the Florilegium.

One of the problems with such limited distribution newsletters is
that only the people on the subscription list at that time know about
the article and many are published so erratically that is hard for
someone outside of their area to know when particular issues are
available. I'd like to give good articles which will be of use to
folks across the Known World, a larger distribution.  As a side
effect, I also like to give good authors more visibility than just
locally.  We can all learn from each other.

I have no problem with an article in the Florilegium being published
elsewhere. In fact, if I know about it, I will put a note in a file
giving some word-of-mouth fame to the other publication.  I have
articles in the Florilegium that were first published in TI. As well,
there are articles that were first published in the Florilegium and
later in TI. The same with various Kingdom and local newsletters.

Of course if an article is bought by a publication and they thus has
the copyright, then neither I nor the author have the right to
publish it in its entirety elsewhere.  However, I don't know of any
SCA publications where the author does not maintain control of the
copyright.

Thanks for considering it, though.

Stefan
--------