[Sca-cooks] sauerkraut...was...unusual Thanksgiving

Etain1263 at aol.com Etain1263 at aol.com
Tue Nov 25 15:55:01 PST 2008

I still feel the childhood canned sauerkraut pain!

One of the first things I learned about sauerkraut.....ALWAYS buy it in a
bag!   Then again, I live in Pennsylvania and there is Amish kraut  available
"fresh"...in plastic bags all year round!   But, in recent  years, a buddy and I
have just gotten cabbages ($1.25 for a HUGE head at market)  and made our
own.  Last year we had three of us cutting, shredding  (kitchenaid shredder over
a big bowl), mixing in the salt, and packing into a  medium size crock.   All
told, there was about 5 gallons made.  I  still have some in my freezer!
  Tomorrow we acquire cabbages for this year's batch!

Etain