[Sca-cooks] Couple of quick questions for the list....

S CLEMENGER sclemenger at msn.com
Fri Oct 3 08:16:26 PDT 2008

1.  I'm trying to track down a particular kind of cheese I had in this astonishing salad in Santa Monica this past summer.  I suspect, but have not verified, that they may have been using a really fresh buffalo mozarella. It had a fresh taste, was fairly pale, and had a texture unlike any cheese I've ever eaten--a bit like a cow's milk mozarella, but somehow creamier? like a cross between a mozarella and a cream cheese? Definitely not chewy or crumbly....It was served as part of a caprese salad, made with heirloom tomatoes, organic evoo, and baby arugula....mmm......

2.  A friend is experimenting with one of His Grace's recipes from the "Miscellany," and has a question about one of the ingredients.  It's the meat-based recipe called "A soup called Menjoire," and the problem ingredient is the half-cup of hippocras.  It's unclear if this is referring to hippocras *powder* (I.e., just the spices), or if it's intended to be half a cup of spiced wine.  We're both guessing that it refers to the wine, but we're not sure....

Thanks for any assistance!

p.s.  Thought of a third question.  The rapier community in my barony is organizing a smallish dessert sale to raise monies to buy loaner gear, and I volunteered to make a dessert for it.  Can be period or modern, but it does need to be transportable, etc., so I can get it to the site, and it needs to be not-too-fussy, as I'm also joint-head-cook that day.  Any ideas?
Thanks,
Maire