[Sca-cooks] scallops

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Oct 4 01:37:54 PDT 2008

Ana said:
<<< I have eaten the scallops in Santiago de Compostela, the place
most related
to the scallops, the "shells" given to the pilgrims as a proof of their
pilgrimage. (I was a fake pilgrim, flew to Santiago as a part of an
International writer's crew). They are called "vieyras" and they are
eaten
very simply, five minutes in the pan, a bit persil and a lot of
butter and
garlic. >>>

That's true. Scallops were the symbol for Santiago de Compostela
pilgrimages.  That makes me wonder if my earlier thought in my last
message that scallops were common along most coasts was wrong.  If
they had been that common, why would they have been used as a
pilgrimage symbol, unless this was just because they would have been
unusual to most folks living away from the coasts.

What is "persil"? Is this parsley or something else?

Thanks,
     Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas