[Sca-cooks] salmon recipe

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Sat Oct 4 16:40:58 PDT 2008

This has puzzled me all day so I looked up the term "mousse".
Davidson in the The Oxford Companion to Food notes that
the term was in common use by the 18th century in France and that Menon
by the middle of the 18th century had numerous recipes for them, including
frozen ones. I am wondering if it's slightly too early to expect a mousse
before 1600 but maybe we can find one in the later 17th century in a
French source.
OED lists only later19th century quotations for the word mousse in
English cookery; they don't make
a connection with dishes like applemose.

One of the recipes that I keep coming across that sounds good to me are
these recipes
for a smoked salmon mousse.

Johnnae