[Sca-cooks] Lamb's Tongue

Lilinah lilinah at earthlink.net
Sat Oct 11 13:31:19 PDT 2008

I made the following recipe for my third feast, which was primarily German.

You'll need to adjust the quantities for a lamb's tongue which is
smaller than the tongue i used.

-----

Marx Rumpolt, Ein New Kochbuch

19. Put the tongue into a water/ and let it simmer till done/ clean
it out/ and pull the skin off/ peel apple and onion thereto/ and chop
them small. Take clear [clarified?] butter in a kettle/ and make it
warm/ and put the apple and onion therein/ sweat them rather/ and
take a little flour/ crushed pepper/ rubbed saffron/ small and large
raisins thereto. Take beef broth and vinegar/ so it becomes nice and
tart/ Cut the Tongue apart/ lay it on a rack/ and brown it on both
sides/ Put that into the mixture/ and let it simmer therewith/ so it
becomes good and Well tasting.

Anahita's version (i was still Anahita then - it was my second &
1/2th year in the SCA)

-- First Part - Preparing Tongues

1 eight lb cow tongue
water to cover
1 large onion
1 tsp peppercorns
1 tsp salt
2 bay leaves

1. Rinse tongue and cut off any obvious bits of fat and gristle.
2. Place in pot with water to cover, add aromatics. Simmer 3-4 hours,
until a sharp knife can be inserted easily.
3. Pull off the tough skin while tongue is still very hot. It peels
off easily while hot, but not at all when it's cool. If tongue should
get too cool, put it back into simmering broth for a few minutes.
This took a long time, because i'd get some peeled, then it would be
too cool, so i'd have to warm it up again, then i'd get some peeled
and it would get too cool, so i'd have to warm it up again... over
and over...
I did this the night before the feast.
4. Let peeled tongue cool.

-- Second Part - Making the Dish

20 apples, peeled and diced
10 onions, peeled and diced
2 sticks butter
white wheat flour as needed - begin with 1/2 cup.
1 TB. pepper
1/2 tsp. saffron, crumbled
2 cups white raisins
2 cups currants
beef broth, from concentrate - also use water left from boiling
tongues, with stuff skimmed off
2-1/2 cups vinegar

1. In deep heavy pan melt the butter, add the apples and onion, and
cook until onion is translucent but not brown.
2. Mix flour, pepper, and saffron.
3. Add flour to apples and onions, stirring to prevent lumps.
4. Let cook for a few moments to remove raw taste from flour.
5. Add raisins, currants, broth and vinegar: should be tart and a little sweet.
6. Simmer briefly to blend.
7. Cut tongue into 1/4" slices, trimming gristle and fat as necessary.
8. Brown tongue slices on grill.
9. Return tongue to sauce and let simmer until sauce reduced by half.

This was very tasty.

Note that sauce quantities are for the 8 lb tongue. It has been so
long i don't quite recall - we might have had more sauce than we
needed.

How much does the lamb's tongue weigh?
--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)