[Sca-cooks] possibly OT: More NPR kitchen stories (was Re: What the tourist cannot know)

Gretchen Beck grm at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Oct 14 14:16:03 PDT 2008

Another excellent food show (and one of potential interest to SCA cooks)
from (I think) KQED is "Hidden Kitchens" by the "Kitchen Sisters"-- the two
hosts travel the country and finds kitchens and kitchen stories in places
you might not expect -- one of their stories is the NASCAR kitchens (the
travelling kitchens that feed the drivers and pitcrews) one is about
harvesting wild rice in Michigan (and the food cooperative associated with
it), one was about the origins of Ricearoni (which is apparently a third
hand version of an Armenian pialaf -- and the first prepackaged side dish),
and on the historical side, things like the Chili Queens of San Antonio. By
their definition, all SCA feasts (and most kitchens at camping events) are
hidden kitchens.

Website, with a number of the stories, is
here:<http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=91851784>

The Kitchen Sisters encourage their listeners/readers to send them stories
and suggestions.

toodles, margaret

--On Tuesday, October 14, 2008 1:18 PM -0700 Lilinah