[Sca-cooks] What the tourist cannot know

Lilinah lilinah at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 14 13:18:43 PDT 2008

Well, i can make a plug for a local TV show here in the San Francisco
Bay area, aired on our PBS channel.

It's called "Check, Please! Bay Area". On each show three "ordinary"
locals pick their favorite restaurant, then all three people visit
all three restaurants, and have a discussion about them. Sometimes
everyone is happy with all three, sometimes people can have very
strong opinions or particular expectations.

Most of the restaurants are in the $15 to $30 per meal range ($30 is
moderate for a nice restaurant). Some are extraordinarily expensive -
so either for the well-heeled or the confirmed foodie. A few are not
cheap but are memorable and unusual experiences, like the restaurant
that's out in the Bay on a boat.

Apparently it's a spin-off of a show that originated in Chicago, on
the Chicago area PBS station. And there's also a spin-off show for
South Florida.

For the San Francisco Bay area show:
http://www.kqed.org/checkplease
and
http://www.kqed.org/tv/programs/index.jsp?pgmid=14084
(not quite the same pages)
Show segments are viewable on-line.

Although most restaurants are in San Francisco, the others are
located all around the Bay, sometimes even a bit of a drive north.
Many are neighborhood restaurants, and probably don't show up in
guide books, although many do turn up in Zagat guides.

Zagat publishes restaurant guides for a few specific US cities - here
it's the whole Bay area, but listed on their site under "San
Francisco" - based on recommendations by locals, so they're useful
for anyone spending a few days in certain major US cities.
http://www.zagat.com
I gather they also have hotel guides, too, although I've never seen one.

Someone sometimes called Urtatim
--
The system works because we're not all nuts on the same day.