[Sca-cooks] What the tourist cannot know

Saint Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Tue Oct 14 16:17:47 PDT 2008

It's not so much what the local TV station wants to advertise, but
rather which restaurants want to pay for TV advertising. Quite a few
small places don't want to, or cant afford that sort of advertising,
although they might publish daily specials in the local newspaper, or
perhaps sponsor, or help sponsor, some doings in the own or county
they're in. And, some of these places are small enough, and have been
around long enough that everybody in the area knows about them.

I remember in SE Ohio, before many of the big chains moved in,
generaly the best way to find a good local restaurant (my job required
me to travel all over the SE Ohio area) was to stop in some little bar
somewhere. While they certainly would serve whatever alcoholic
beverages were lawful in that area, quite often they'd have absolutely
wonderful lunch specials. One of them was called The Willows, on rt 40
between Zanesville and Cambridge, which was handy if you were working
either county. Another was called little Tijuana, which had two
locations, one in Zanesville, the other in Cambridge, and served great
Tex-Mex food. None of thewse places looked like much- semi run-doe\wn
converted residences, with a couple neon signs in the window, but
working folks could stop in and get a beer or a good cup of coffee,
and a great lunch, with trimmings.

--
Saint Phlip

Heat it up