[Sca-cooks] Sca-cooks Digest, Vol 30, Issue 55

Cindy Sorenson wolfhawke81 at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 22 10:38:56 PDT 2008

There's a difference?  Actually, I tend to get 4 - 5 deer dropped on my back porch every winter, and I really don't cook it any differently than beef, except that it is leaner, so I add a little grease so it doesn't stick to my skillet.  I butcher out my own deer because there is this tendency here for the processors to add beef fat to the burger, and (on request) they will mix the venison 50/50 with beef 'for better flavor'.  Flavor can vary depending on what area you are in, what the deer have been feeding on, whether doe or buck (buck might be stronger flavor)... but, basically, if you can do it with beef, you can do it with venison.  I do tend to cook larger chunks low and slow, though.