[Sca-cooks] Historical Apples

Daniel & Elizabeth Phelps dephelps at embarqmail.com
Sun Oct 26 13:42:02 PDT 2008

Was written:

> Oh you got to be kinding! Why were the judges expecting it to be
> "authentic"
> apples? Were they expecting the person to have researched the apple
> variety?
> Well why stop at apples, why not make it with period wheat.(sarcasm)
> How "expert" was the entrant?

I've an article I wrote on A/S judging that speaks to the issue as along
with other things it discusses the concept of reasonable substitution.  I'm
not sure if it is posted in the Flori..  It raised a bit of a dust up here
in this kingdom when it was published.  If anyone wants it I will post it to
them.  Have you seen my semi-Swiftian piece in the Flori regards my
recreation of a 12th century hole?

Side note, I will be out of touch next week. I'm off to do some field work.
I'm sampling the beaches of the east coast of Florida,  one sample set every
mile.  Next week is the rest of southern Brevard County as well as Indian
River and possibly St. Lucie counties.  Doing some of this on four wheelers
varoom varoom.

Daniel