[Sca-cooks] New Book on Maya Cooking- Gene Anderson

Nick Sasso grizly at mindspring.com
Fri Oct 31 10:04:07 PDT 2008

-----Original Message-----
Dear Authentic Cooks:  I have just brought out a book, MAYALAND
CUISINE, about the traditional cooking of the Maya areas of
Mexico--the Yucatan Peninsula plus the states of Chiapas and Tabasco.
The recipes are all things I collected myself from people there or
translated from obscure local cookbooks (mostly pamphlets of very
limited circulation). The recipes are all traditional--which sometimes
means they go back 2000 years and sometimes only 100, so use with
caution if you want to be authentically pre-1700!  > > > > > > >

This looks like a cool book.  It does seem to be a 'traditional' cookery
book rather than a book to rely on for discerning actual Mayan food
traditions during the time of the Mayan Empire rise and fall.  It should be
able to familiarize us with what their cookery became, and build some
beginning foundation for inferences . . . but NOT be a direct reference for
period Mayan cookery.  Cool book for what it proclaims to be . . . wolf in
sheeps clothing when people start draggin it out as documentation.  Several
books have already been b at stardized that way in the last 10 years.

I hope this one is appreciated for waht ti is and not made to fit into the
'primary resource' (or even secondary) category.

Call me a cynic,
niccolo difrancesco