[Sca-cooks] Bean Paste in Soup for the Qan

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 13 09:38:07 PDT 2008

Lilinah wrote:
> I've been meaning to pass this along to the list for about a week...
>
> After i asked the list about the bean paste in "A Soup for the Qan", i
> wrote to Paul Buell and Eugene Anderson. Gene said the bean paste
> would have been made with mung bean starch.
>
> This is what is used to make what are variously called "cellophane
> noodles", "glass noodles", and, IIRC, "bean threads" or "bean thread
> noodles". In ASftQ it is apparently made into a paste, and often mixed
> with other ingredients, so buying glass noodles wouldn't necessarily
> be the same.
>
> I figure, if someone else is making SCA-period Chinese or Mongol food,
> this would be helpful to know.

Thank you very much for getting that information straight from the
horse's mouth!

Bean paste =/= bean pasta.  Drat.  I'm going to have to go look at that
recipe now, what page is it on?

Mung bean flour is available at Chinese markets like 99 Ranch Kawa.
Grinding dried mung beans would be a bit dreary but possible.

I do love me some cellophane noodles - Maybe I'll make some for supper.

With gratitude,
Selene