[Sca-cooks] OOP canning adventures

Georgia Foster jo_foster81 at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 14 03:18:58 PDT 2008

The weather ASPIRATED (blowing and drifting snow) so I could not make it to Crown Tourney. As I was driving through town I saw a poor bedraggled fruit vender hunkered down in the front cab of the panel truck, so I stopped to see what he had. I came home with a box of pears and very limited idea of what I was going to do with them. I think I was beginning with fruit paste, but then it started to work through my brain that nobody needed THAT much fruit paste.

I spent the weekend canning. A 36 lb box of Bartlett pears makes 3 dozen 12 oz jars if the pears are cut into quarters. The skins, when boiled down and strained through a jelly cloth make 1 dozen 8 oz jars of pear jelly. The used up skins are then turned into the compost bin (no waste, which pleases me GREATLY). There is still 6 lbs of pears that will be becoming fruit paste later.

It has been 30 years since last I did any home canning. I had almost forgotten how addictive it can be. Now my head is racing through all the various things I can put into jars for later.

Happy Harvest Time EVERYBODY!!
Cheers

Malkin
Jo (Georgia L.) FosterNever knock on Death's door.Ring the doorbell and run ... he hates that.I don't want to set the world on fire, I'm just trying to light a candle.