[Sca-cooks] Historical Apples

Lilinah lilinah at earthlink.net
Sun Oct 26 20:20:06 PDT 2008

toodles, margaret  wrote:
>  Gravenstein's perhaps?
>
>  <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravenstein>
>
>  I've never seen these in stores in my area (although perhaps I'm just not
>  looking), but the wikipedia suggests they are popular in Nova Scotia.

Trees of Antiquity says:
GRAVENSTEIN Germany or Denmark 1790
[so not in agreement with wikipedia which dates them to 1669, which
is still out of period, but getting closer]

GRAVENSTEIN: (RED GRAVENSTEIN) California
A red sport of our local favorite, it is similar to Gravenstein...
[clearly not SCA-period]

I remember Gravensteins from the late 60s and early 70s, but i don't
recall seeing them recently, although perhaps i haven't been looking
at the apples in the Berkeley Bowl often enough. I know that the
produce people at Whole Foods didn't know what i was talking about
when i asked about Gravensteins, Winesaps, and Rome Beauties.

Now besides insipid "Delicious" apples, there are mostly Fujis and
Pink Ladys, with the occasional Braeburns. These are tasty to eat out
of hand, but far too modern for the SCA.
--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita

My LibraryThing