[Sca-cooks] KWCB Classes

Gretchen Beck grm at andrew.cmu.edu
Thu Oct 16 10:23:55 PDT 2008

Hi Folks,

Here's a preliminary class list for the upcoming Known World Cooks and
Bards, Nov 7 - 10. There are still spots open for classes, and plenty of
reservations:

Cooking:

Period Gyngerbrede: A Survey.
The purpose of this class is to look at the different types of period
gingerbread. Gyngerbrede is more of a candy than gingerbread as we
know it. We will make and mold one recipe of Gyngerbrede. Class
limited to 10. 2 hours. Handout, no fee.
Baroness Olivia d'Anjou

Anglo-Saxon Foods - intermediate - hands on - two hours. Need small
kitchen facilities, with a stove and sink. I will bring the
ingredients and the cooking implements. We will discuss what food
where available in period, how they could have been used based on the
evidence. There are no extant recipes available so we will take what
we know and come up with something to eat. People will be broken
into small groups and given what they need to work with. Maximum
class size of 9 - 12. No cost to the participant.
Baroness Aibhilin kennari fra Skye, OL

Anglo - Saxon Foods - basic - lecture/discussion - 1 hour. An
overview of what they had available, how we know this and where to
find more information. Class room no limit, no cost.
Baroness Aibhilin kennari fra Skye, OL

Celebration at the Serayi: 16th C Ottoman Cuisine
Exerpts and research from my newly released ebook based on the first
known Turkish source recipes as well as earlier sources and travelogues,
dictionaries and artwork. nothing but they will have the option of
purchasing the ebook
1 hour All levels
Channon Mondoux aka Hauviette d'Anjou

Vegetables of the Italian Renaissance
Join us as we investigate the scope of vegetable dishes cooked by
Bartolomeo Scappi in 16th Century Italy. We will cover the variety
of vegetables cooked and the most common ways in which they were
prepared for fast and feast days as stand alone dishes and in pies.
1 hr
Mistress Helewyse de Birkestad

Before Béchamel & Hollandaise: An Introduction to Medieval Sauces
Not sure what to serve with that roasted meat? Come explore common
sauces that are found in many of the medieval culinary texts. There
will both be discussion, hand-on making of at least two sauces and
sampling! An electronic copy of the handout can be found at
http://medievalcuisine.madpage.com/classes/Sauces_Handout.pdf
$2 fee for handout. 1 Hour. Basic/Intermediate
Euriol of Lothian, OP

Take a Quayle, and sle him: A Beginner's Guide to redacting medieval
recipes
This class is a practical exercise in developing your own recipe
based on extant recipes written down by the Master Cooks of the
Middle Ages. You will learn how to interpret the ingredients and
cooking processes from translations of extant manuscripts and create
your own redaction (interpretation) of that recipe. An electronic
copy of the handout can be found at
http://medievalcuisine.madpage.com/classes/Redacting_Recipes.pdf
1 Hour. Intermediate
Euriol of Lothian, OP

The Planning and Organizing of a Feast
This class is a discussion of practical tips & tricks and lessons
learned for planning and providing a feast for SCA events. An
electronic copy of the handout can be found at
http://medievalcuisine.madpage.com/classes/Feast_Planning.pdf
1 Hour. Intermediate.
 Euriol of Lothian, OP

How I Did Coronation Feast for $200 Under Budget
As a test case of the tips shared at several Frugal Feasts
Roundtables in the past year, come learn and discuss what steps I
took to save costs while planning a fancy, three-course, varied menu
for a kingdom-level event feast. What worked? What didn't? 1 hour
Baroness Katja Davidova Orlova Khazarina, OP, OL

A Cure for What Ails You: A Humourous Feast
A description of a feast for which we served as head cooks which
centered around the humoural nature of the dishes and includes a
brief summary of the humoural theory. This is a lecture class but
questions are always welcome. There is no limit to class size and
the students do not need to supply anything but themselves. 1 hour.
Larry McDaniel and Elizabeth Latshaw

Chinese, Turkic and Middle Eastern Influences on Mongolian Court
Cuisine of the 14th Century
We will investigate what comprised the native Mongolian cuisine.
Next we will discuss how those cultures with whom the Mongols had
commerce influenced changes in what the Mongolian Court cuisine
contained. We will include information from a number of period
sources including the Yin-shan Cheng-yao (Proper and Essential Things
for the emperor's Food and Drink), as contained in the book Soup for
the Qan, Yin-shan Cheng-yao (Proper and Essential Things for the
emperor's Food and Drink), Kitâb al-Tibâkha (from Medieval Arab
Cookery). $2 to cover handout 1 hour
 Minowara Kiritsubo, OL, OP

Scottish Food Stuffs and Kitchen Goods from 16th and 17th C records
This is an overview of the food stuffs listed in various compt,
inventories, wills, import export lists, and other miscellaneous
documents from the 16th and 17th C.
1 hr, no fee
Dame Margaret Macafee

Brewing:

Brew Like a Housewife - THLord Brandubh O'Donnghaile. A hands on
class in which we will recreate a 14th Century English Ale as recorded
by in Manor records.

Sekanjabins - Master Tofi Kerthjalfadsson. A look at producing
Sekanjabin syrup and variations.

My Favorite Mead - THLord Brandubh O'Donnghaile. A hands on class
examining a 13th Century English manuscript and producing the mead
described there in.

Brewing Elizabethan Beer - Master Gille MacDhnouill. A recipe for
beer from Harrison's Description of England in Shakespere's Youth
(1575). Each step of the recipe will be translated to modern
measurements and the steps required to brew the beer on contemporary
equipment will be described.

Sticks and Stones - Lord Magnus Jager. Experience, and process in
recreating a Stein beer. No thermometer, no burners, just wood, fire,
rocks, and branches for straining the grain.

In addition field trips to two local breweries are planned.

Bardic Classes:

Drottkveitt, Runhendt & Kennings: Adapting Old Norse Poetic Forms to SCA
Uses
Fridrikr Tomasson av Knusslig Hamn
This class will discuss the drottkveitt and runhent as poetic (stanzaic)
forms, along with some types of poetry that use the drottkveitt and runhent
(lausavisur, flokkr, drapa, shield songs). We will discuss the difficulties
of writing English poetry in Iceland stanza forms, using some of the
teacher's poems as examples. The class will also discuss & practice the
writing of kennings, the basic metaphorical building block of Old Norse &
Anglo-Saxon poetry.

Transcending Politics: the SCA Bard in the Social Crisis
Michael Alewright, with Morgana bro Morganwg and Ana de Guzman
Imagine this: The final round of Crown Tourney was... questionable.
Cataclysmic mundane events have washed into the SCA experience. The King
has used his position to turn a personal rivalry into a matter of state.
The Royals are giving high-level awards to their own young children. A
Laurel knowingly used her art to inflict harm upon another. A Peer posts a
flame to the Kingdom's electronic distribution list. Someone well known and
respected by the populace has died. When and how does the bard speak? When
is it better to stay silent, or to leave speech to others? How can one
serve the needs of the populace while not making things worse? There is no
easy or sure path, and here there surely be dragons.

Basic Renaissance Poetry: More than Sonnets
Ana de Guzman
The sonnet is not the only form used by poets during the Renaissance. This
is a beginners workshop for those who are not familiar with three forms of
Renaissance poetry: (1) ottava rima, (2) rhyme royal (or Chaucerian
stanza), and (3) terza rima. Structures, rhyme schemes, uses in period and
from the SCA are examined. The last 30-45 minutes will be devoted to having
the class pick a form and collectively write a poem. With the permission of
the students, the resulting poem will be submitted to the local Barony's or
Kingdom's newsletter under the students' names. Class limit: 20.

Fairy Tale and Legend Workshop
Luceta di Cosimo
In this part-lecture, part-workshop, we will go briefly over the history
and definitions of fairy tales and legends, instances of fairy tales in
period, how to look for period sources of both, and how to identify and use
motifs to construct/reconstruct tales which could have been told/recorded
in period. The participants in the workshop will construct a fairy tale and
a legend.

Basics of Vocal Production
Ursula the Widow
This class is intended for those who have never had a voice lesson. The
fundamentals of breathing, support, projection and placement will be
covered. These basics are of use to singers, heralds, and anyone who needs
to project and be heard. The class is active and will involve standing and
singing (or, if you are unable to stand, any upright posture will do). The
instructor first studied voice in the late 1970s, has performed in
community theater and choruses since the age of eleven, has had various
skilled teachers at Yale University, New York and London, and recently
received the Midrealm's Order of the Willow for her singing, songwriting
and teaching. Class limit: 12 students. No spectators, please.

Craft and the Bard: which way is up?
Zsof (moderator)
This is a general roundtable discussion with and among Laurels in the
Bardic Arts, exploring (among other things) the honing one's craft,
developing one's repertoire, courting the Muse, finding and making venue,
"boosting" the various bardic arts, and serving the Society in which we
perform. Bring your questions and experiences!

Devices and Desires: Technical Aspects of the Love Poetry of Dafydd ap
Gwilym
Gwernin
A discussion of several of the technical devices used by this 14th Century
Welsh master, and their possible application in English.

Roundtable: How to Make Period Pieces More Accessible to the Modern Bardic
Circle
AElfgyva
Many people have expressed interest in hearing and performing period
poetry, songs and stories, and yet few pieces effectively make their way to
the Bardic circle, where they often seem overpowered by popular 'modern'
folk tunes and SCAdian war songs. How do we show the Known World that
period stuff is exciting and relevant, and that our ancestors were both
talented and entertaining? Questions include: What choices need to be made
when selecting and preparing a piece? How does one work within the dynamics
of the circle? How can I engage the audience through my performance? What
have we tried that seems to work? If time allows, people can present their
period pieces for feedback.

I am a Man Upon the Land: an Ongoing Investigation Into the Origins and
Distribution of the North Atlantic Seal Legends
Rowen Brithwallt

They are wound deeply through the folklore of the Northern Isles, from
Orkney and Shetland, down the sweep of the Hebrides and the coasts of the
Gael, as far-ranging as Ireland and Iceland and Greenland: the legends of
the sluagh-ròn, the seal people. Who and what were they thought to be? How
old are the tales, and what are their sources? And how does one track a
legend, or determine the age of tales from an oral culture? We will discuss
not only this particular set of legends, but of ways to extract the sources
of tales when dealing with a largely oral culture.

PROPOSED BARDIC CLASSES AWAITING CONFIRMATION:

"The Angel of Death" Deconstructed

Old English Poetry

Anthropology of the SCA

Vocal Coaching Master Class

Performance Technique Workshop and Coaching

Workshop: Translation as a Bardic Art

Writing Humorous Songs

Bardic Colleges Roundtable

Your First Album

The Instant Band: Accompanying the Solo Bard

Frame That Tune: Setting Lyrics to Music