[Sca-cooks] ISO carbonado references.

Ginny Beatty ginbeatty at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 09:24:46 PDT 2008

Hi all,
I'm working on my article for Artes Draconis on
carbonadoes/carbonados/charbonados. Markham (English Housewife) states that
this particular cooking technique is French in its origin.
However, the only French reference I've been able to find is a list of foods
in a Francois Rabelais story from 1532.

There is another English reference to Spain though. (A PAGEANT  OF
SPANISH HUMOURS. Wherin are naturally de- / scribed and lively portrayed the
kinds / and quallities of a signior / of Spaine. /
Translated out of Dutche by H.W. /  Haud curo Inuidiam. / [imagen] /
Imprinted at London by [J. Windet for] Iohn Wolfe, and are to be solde at /
his shop in Popes-head Alley, neare to / the Exchange 1599. )
http://www.ehumanista.ucsb.edu/projects/spanish_black_legend/02.htm
"3 A signior is a woolfe at table.
Signior at his dyet is as a ravenous woolfe, with the one elbow leaning on
the table, openeth his mawe like a Judas putse. He layeth his tallants on
the meat like a woolfe that gripeth a lambe: he esteemes it no shame to
ruyne the dith and tumble the eates topsies turvie [sic], to seeke de buena
gana los buenas boccades, the which ell ventro del uno he purposeth to send;
what a signior doeth not eate, he heaeth, or unseemly myngleth. Amore
lickorish wretch earth doth not produce, his fare must daily be fresh, both
roasted and sod, besides this, he is a wonderfull devourer of  olia podridos
and carbonadoes, togither with an infinit quantitie of fruites, comfites,
and boccados yet it is a hard matter if a man hath not one good qualitie, no
es barachono, you must not thinke so, except it [5]were a chance 8  910 .
This is a signiosr dyet at anothers cost, but alas if you finde him at his
owne table, you may see it stately furnished  with a sardinia, or a
crust of bread, a pot of agua, and perhaps a bone, yet abroad, if there be a
woolfe at the table, signior is one. "

And there's a brief reference in Christopher Marlowe's Tamburlaine
"Take it up Villaine and eat it, or I will make thee slice the brawnes of
thy armes into carbonadoes, and eat them."

I've done some extensive Google <http://www.google.com/> searching
with limited success except for multiple citations from Markham and links to
spiffy Brazilian black diamonds (also called carbonadoes).  There's nothing
in the Florilegium except for Markham's references to carbonadoes  (posted
by Adamantius), as well a few menus here and there. So, I would like some
help beyond that. If there's an actual French or Spanish source that
discusses carbonados (and its various spellings) , I would appreciate it.

I can read French.

Thanks!
Gwyneth Banfhidleir, OL (Midrealm)