[Sca-cooks] OOP but WANT!!!!!

Dragon dragon at crimson-dragon.com
Thu Sep 4 12:22:37 PDT 2008

Saint Phlip did speak thusly:
>On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 2:50 PM, Dragon <dragon at crimson-dragon.com> wrote:
> > Trivets are a wonderful thing.
> >
> > Do you know what sort of clay was used in making the pottery skillet?
>
>Not a clue. The potter was nattering on about having fired the clay in
>either an oxydizing or reducng atmosphere, and she gelkp that
>whichever it was, the other would have done the job without breaking.

Well... From what I have seen, the clay body has far more impact on
that than the firing atmosphere.

> > Also, I want to point out that if the lamb had been roasted to the side of
> > the fire and not directly over the coals you could have avoided your flare
> > ups. Bank the coals to the side and place a drip pan with some water in it
> > under the roast. The indirect heat will roast it just fine, you won't get
> > the flares and you will have the yummy drippings to dip bread
> into or use in
> > a sauce or savory pudding.
> >
> > Dragon
>
>Don't try to teach your gramma to suck eggs ;-) I'm well aware of
>that, but my usual set up had been co-opted by the rest of the cooks,
>so rather than inconvenience them, who were rather new to cooking over
>a campfire and coals, for the most part, and who were trying various
>experiments, I simply went to plan B, and compensated for having to
>cook over flames rather than coals. The idea was to cook the food
>effectively, and dripping a bit of water to tame the flare-ups worked
>quite handily.

The only reason I mention this is because so many people think that
the only way to cook something is OVER the fire and that just isn't true.

And while I thought you would likely know this (which you have now
confirmed), it was just something that is a bit of a pet peeve of
mine when teaching people to cook on an open fire.

Dragon