[Sca-cooks] OOP but WANT!!!!!

Dragon dragon at crimson-dragon.com
Fri Sep 5 11:01:21 PDT 2008

otsisto did speak thusly:
>The question is where did he get the pot. Is it "Macedonian" because of the
>shape/style or that is where he purchased it?
>If made in the States, there is a greater chance that the glossy glazes is
>lead free as there are lead free glazes. From what I can tell the interior
>is glazed with a matte or satin glaze. It may also be underglaze with a
>clear glaze over it, which to my understand most clear glazes are lead free.
>
>De

was taken from it.

The pot was stated to have been acquired in Macedonia. It was also
stated on that page that the interior was NOT glazed.

The exterior has a sheen that is characteristic of lead based glaze.
Yes, I am well aware there are lead free glazes out there but none I
have seen even come close to the sheen you can achieve with the lead
oxide type. This pot appears to be a low-fire earthenware, a type of
pottery where such a glaze would be appropriate and would have been
used extensively prior to the discovery of lead's toxic effects.
There are many places in the world where such glazes are still used
on cookware, this is especially so in third world nations.

Now the fact that the pot was acquired in Macedonia is a potential
red flag depending upon whether it came from Greek Macedonia or the
former Yugoslavian Republic of Macedonia. This is significant because
the former is a part of the European Union while the latter is not.
The EU has strict guidelines on the use of substances such as lead. I
am uncertain of how the Republic of Macedonia regulates such things
but I would not be surprised in the least if they don't regulate it
at all. The old communist regimes and their current splinters are not
exactly known for their environmental or health concerns.

But really, all I am saying here is that there is reasonable ground
for suspicion that this pot may have been glazed with a potentially
hazardous substance. As such, I don't think it should be used for
food production.

Dragon