[Sca-cooks] The Omnivore's Hundred
Huette von Ahrens
ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 7 14:38:54 PDT 2008
This originally started on Live Journal where HTML works. I answered this there some weeks ago. I will give my answers here, since an lot of you aren't on my journal.
1. Venison Yes, I love it.
2. Nettle tea Yes, but I wouldn't go out of my way to have more.
3. Huevos rancheros Yes, long before my allergies kicked in. I can't have it anymore.
4. Steak tartare Tried it once, never again. Yech.
5. Crocodile No, but I might try it someday.
6. Black pudding I have tried Blutwurst, which is pretty much the same. Interesting flavor. I would eat it again.
7. Cheese fondue Yes. Very messy.
8. Carp Yes.
9. Borscht Yes. I liked it.
10. Baba ghanoush Yes. I am not very fond of eggplant.
11. Calamari Yes.
12. Pho Yes.
13. PB&J sandwich Yes.
14. Aloo gobi No. Can't have it because of allergies.
15. Hot dog from a street cart Yes. Several times when I worked in L.A.
16. Epoisses No. But I would like to.
17. Black truffle Yes. I like it.
18. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes Yes. Many times.
19. Steamed pork buns Yes. Yum!
20. Pistachio ice cream Yes.
21. Heirloom tomatoes Yes. Yum, when home grown.
22. Fresh wild berries Yes. Yum.
23. Foie gras Yes.
24. Rice and beans Yes.
25. Brawn, or head cheese Yes. I used to love it as a kid.
26. Raw Scotch Bonnet pepper NEVER!!! Allergic.
27. Dulce de leche Yes. Many times.
28. Oysters Yes. Not my favorite.
29. Baklava (Both Greek and Persian) Yes. I have had Greek and Armenian and love it. I have had Yugoslavian [it was a long time ago, but it was bleah, they used Karo Syrup instead of honey.]
30. Bagna cauda No, but I would try it.
31. Wasabi peas No.
32. Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl Yes.
33. Salted lassi No, but I like sweet lassi.
34. Sauerkraut Yes, but in limited quantities
35. Root beer float YES!!! I luvs me root beer floats!
36. Cognac with a fat cigar I have had cognac, but I will never smoke cigars!
37. Clotted cream tea Yes. Love it.
38. Vodka jelly No, but I would try it.
39. Gumbo Yes, but I didn't like it.
40. Oxtail Yes. I LOVE oxtail stew.
41. Curried goat I have had goat, but never curried. Allergy reasons.
42. Whole insects NEVER.
43. Phaal No. Allergies.
44. Goat’s milk Yes
45. Malt whisky from a bottle worth £60/$120 or more No. I am not into whisky of any sort.
46. Fugu No. I am not crazy or suicidal.
47. Chicken tikka masala No. Not unless it is capsicum free.
48. Eel Yes. Both cooked and raw.
49. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut Yes. There are better donuts.
50. Sea urchin Yes.
51. Prickly pear Yes.
52. Umeboshi Yes.
53. Abalone Yes. Very delicious. Too bad it is so hard to come by, now that it is an endangered species. I have heard that is it being farmed.
54. Paneer Yes.
55. McDonald’s Big Mac Meal Yes, but not in the past thirty years.
56. Spaetzle Yes. Love it! It is a family favorite.
57. Dirty gin martini No
58. Beer above 8% ABV Yes. In Australia.
59. Poutine No. It sounds very greasy.
60. Carob chips Yes.
61. S’mores Yes. Many times as a kid and an adult. Try it with peeps and Valrona chocolate, yum!
62. Sweetbreads Yes.
63. Kaolin Yes as part of kaopectate. Otherwise, no. It is supposed to be something pregnant women crave and is sold in the South.
64. Currywurst No. Allergies.
65. Durian Yes.
66. Frogs’ legs No, but I might try them someday...
67. Beignets, churros, elephant ears or funnel cake Yes. Yum.
68. Haggis Yes.
69. Fried plantain Yes, in French Polynesia, Yum.
70. Chitterlings, or andouillette No.
71. Gazpacho Yes
72. Caviar and blini Yes
73. Louche absinthe No
74. Gjetost, or brunost No, but I would like to.
75. Roadkill No. It would depend on how freshly killed it was ...
76. Baijiu No
77. Hostess Fruit Pie Yes, many times.
78. Snail No. Maybe someday...
79. Lapsang souchong Yes
80. Bellini Yes. Yum.
81. Tom yum No. Allergies.
82. Eggs Benedict Yes. Yum.
83. Pocky Yes. Ho-hum.
84. Tasting menu at a three-Michelin-star restaurant Yes, but I would rather it had been in a five star restaurant...
85. Kobe beef Yes
86. Hare Yes
87. Goulash Yes
88. Flowers Yes
89. Horse No. Banned in California
90. Criollo chocolate Yes.
91. Spam Yes, as a child. Yech.
92. Soft shell crab Yes
93. Rose harissa No. Allergies.
94. Catfish Yes
95. Mole poblano No. Allergies.
96. Bagel and lox Yes. Yum.
97. Lobster Thermidor Yes. I love lobster.
98. Polenta Yes. Many times.
99. Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee No. I don't drink coffee at all.
100. Snake No, but I would be willing to try.
More information about the Sca-cooks