[Sca-cooks] Sca-cooks Digest, Vol 29, Issue 26

Marcus Loidolt mjloidolt at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 8 11:37:37 PDT 2008

Benedicte,
 I believe...without having said tomes to hand...To the King's Taste and Two Fifeteenth Cent cookbooks both descibe having something...usually eggs or mushrooms, stew or boil 'a Pater Noster while'  Now it could be argued that said measuring device could be protracted for an entire rosary...though that isn't likely to me...AND you also have the variance of how fast an individual might mutter through his/her prayers as opposed to saying them devoutly and sustinctly...

It take MOST people about 30 seconds to say the Lord's Prayer/Our Father/Pater Noster at a moderate devout pace. It takes about 20 seconds to add the Angelic Salutation/ Hail Mary/ Ave Maria. and another 15 seconds for the Gloria or Doxology and it might take you a minute even to say those three. Hardly enough for a rosary which would be essentially 150 times as long...Most circles say a decade/ 1 Pater Noster, 10 Aves and 1 Gloria in about 5 minutes...taking about 1/2 hour to say five decades or a chaplet.

I know my own grandmother used such a device for timing eggs and such, ie, put the eggs to boil, say a decade of the rosary with Archbishop Sheen on the radio and have the eggs done when she finished...

I know from my own experience that a Pater Noster while is just enough time to blanche most vegetables to my liking and to scald a chicken before plucking!

Johann von Metten

Greetings,

I ended up in a discussion at Pennsic with a gentle who was recounting the
period use of telling the rosary as, effectively, an egg timer. As it was
one of those passing conversations that just happen in the merchant area, I
didn't think to ask *where* he had found this, other than in a cookery
book.
Does this use jog anyone's memory? A citation would be lovely, though
I'll
happily take whatever anyone can give me.

-Sisuile

I have heard from the Angelus or the Hell Mary as egg timer, but not from
the rosary itself.
Ana